By Ned Fairweather, Senior Consultant/Data Protection Practice Lead
Whether you’re already using Symantec NetBackup or you’re considering it as a backup solution, we think NetBackup 7.5 is worth a close look. Daymark has deployed NetBackup 7.5 in several customer environments. Our technical consultants have found the product to be stable with dramatically increased backup speeds, but that’s not all. Here are 7 feature enhancements we think are worth checking out:
- Replication Director – simplifies and accelerates snapshot replication management and granular file-level recovery from any NetBackup-managed replicated snapshot image.
- NetBackup Accelerator - dramatically reduces the time it takes to do backups by eliminating the scan to determine file change percentages, leveraging client-side deduplication, and then synthetically constructing a full backup image in the time it takes to do an incremental backup. Users can experience backups that are up to 100 times faster.
- NetBackup Search and Hold - allows administrators to place searches on “Hold” to prevent them from expiring. This simplifies and accelerates the ability to conduct searches across the entire NetBackup environment and places those results on legal hold for eDiscovery and better retention management control.
- Operational Restores with OpsCenter (ORO) - enables users other than backup administrators to easily find and restore files or directories across multiple locations from a Web-based interface.
- Application Protection for VMware VMs – It is now possible to use the NetBackup VMware backup technology while retaining the ability to recover databases using database agents. This includes restoring entire databases for disaster recovery purposes as well as individual database objects.
- VMware Policy Enhancements - automates and accelerates policy-based protection of new or moved virtual machines, along with superior load balancing for the fastest possible backup performance of virtual environments. With new policies that are designed explicitly for VMware and Hyper-V, users get a clean, straightforward interface that is implemented for each hypervisor.
- Cloud Enhancements – enables the seamless extension for the movement and storage of data from on-premise to a growing list of cloud storage providers.
All in all, we think NetBackup 7.5 is worth the investment for a wide variety of users. If you need assistance evaluating NetBackup for your environment, we’re here to help.